This Legal Counsel – Upstream Americas position will be expected to provide professional, timely, risk-based and fit-for-purpose legal advice and support to all aspects of the Shell Group’s (i) offshore exploration and appraisal activities in the Americas, (ii) Deep Water business in the US Gulf of Mexico, and/or (iii) US Shales business. Work allocation across Upstream lines of business will be directed by the Managing Counsel – Upstream Americas, taking into account professional experience brought to the role, business need, value/risk assessment, and development considerations, among others.
- Identify and prioritize legal risks and alternative strategies on a variety of matters.
- Ensure documents accurately reflect commercial decisions, always consistent with legal obligations and the Shell Control Framework.
- Ability to act as an integrator of legal advice and organize, participate, or as appropriate, lead “natural teams” to ensure delivery of integrated, fit-for-purpose legal advice with an end-to-end value mindset.
- Represent Shell vis-à-vis third parties.
- Provide advice in connection with key engagements with regulatory agencies and other stakeholders.
- Work closely with Shell Ethics & Compliance in conducting legal, ABC and trade controls due diligence and advising on legal compliance.
- Instruct and manage external counsel (NOTE: very limited use of outside counsel, reserved for specialty matters).
- Ability to work as part of a team and with both internal and external stakeholders with diverse cultural backgrounds.
- Must have legal authorization to work in the US on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer.
- J.D. from an accredited law school required.
- Minimum seven (7) years of business commercial or transactional legal experience required, including significant experience in drafting, negotiating and advising on complex commercial arrangements and joint ventures. Experience advising in respect of a regulatory framework is a plus.
- Licensed to practice law in Texas or Louisiana, or able to obtain license in a reasonable timeframe.
- Established ability to quickly grasp complex commercial arrangements.
- Demonstrated capability to build legal knowledge and to quickly identify critical legal risks.
- Ability to work in a dynamic legal environment with clients who need to quickly respond to operational and regulatory demands.
- Established commercial, transactional and client advisory skills readily applicable to the offshore or onshore upstream and midstream oil and gas industry.
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Functions: Management
Job Location: New Orleans, LA, US
Application Deadline: N/A